It´s not that I´m a hoarder. But I have a lot of things. I´m not a minimalist when it comes to decoration and interior. I collect things, I buy things just for having them and it is simply really easy to trick me into buying the small, pretty stuff. Decoration, kitsch, apparel. I have most likely already bought smth before you could even name it. I like to have. I also have a hard time to let go. I keep magazines I got years ago and never ever look at.
It came to mind that I really have a lot I don´t actually use or really need, when I asked myself the question, which of my belongings I never have never regereted buying. The list is almost shockingly short, at least to me, when I compare it to the total number of things I own.
To give an example, we could look at my nail polish. I have lot´s of bottles and everytime a new person comes into my room they comment on that. I know that it´s a lot. I like to use nail polish once in a while and a new shade is always tempting. But I have bottles which were never opened. Most of them were used once. And that´s the point. How many polishes would I need if I wanted to paint my nails? One.
Now I have all of these and I do sometimes regret that I invested money into them.
I questioned my own consumer behaviour and came to the result that I have to stop getting more and more. Recently did the back of my clost come off, because I have too many clothes in there and I had a hard time to push it back in. It was a sign. If I want to live a more evironment friendly, and cheaper, live do I have to stop. I don´t want to take part in the wasting of basic materials which I dislike so much when others do it. Therefore did I install a voice in my head which helps me to reconsider before I pay.
Now, what are the things I never regreted buying? These are the only things which spontaneously came to my mind:
1. My tablet computer. I got it last year and use it daily now. It helps to save livetime of my laptop, which runs a lot, and is easier to take on trips.
2. My wrist watch. I bought the watch back in 2008, when I was an Au Pair and had to be on time. I feel naked without it and buy new wrist bands when the old one comes off or is generally too old. It is the only wrist watch I have right now.
3. My water bottle. I got this after starting in the master program and stopped buying bottled water. One of the items I use the most.
4. My shorts. I can only use these during summer, still I never regreted buying them. Because when it is warm do I either wear these or dresses. All summer long.
5. My good knife. This is a very good kitchen knife, no one else but me is allowed to use it or to clean it. It was the most expensive one I could afford back then, it´s not a high class one though.
6. My coffee maker. Do I even have to explain why I never regreted buying that one? I´m very happy about it every morning.
7. My tools. I have used all these tools so often now. I don´t need help when it comes to fixing small things, building furnitures or installing a washing machine and I´m proud of that.
So, seven things. I didn´t consider items I got as a gift or didn´t pay for myself.
Have you really regreted to have bought every single other item, you might ask. No. Definitely not the food. Not the trips I made. But every time when it comes to my mind that I never use a certain item, do I know that I shouldn´t have bought it in the first place. It´s even worse when I discover that I have smth and totally forgot I have that.
What am I going to do now, with the plenty I got? For now, I´ll keep it. And start to get rid of it little by little. And not replace it, of course.
Which are the things you never regreted buying?